Friday 9 February 2018

How Films Influence Fashion

Isn't it strange how we often find ourselves trying to recreate looks from our favourite movies and series. The characters are fictional and sometimes the fashion is outdated but we feel a connection to them. I remember the first time I watched Gossip Girl and instantly feel in love with Blair Waldorf and her chic everyday style along with Serena Van De Woodson and her stunning evening gowns. Even though the series was filmed over a decade ago I still find myself wanting to dress like them. I find myself flicking though Pinterest and taking inspiration for from their outfits. Blair was often seen wearing a necktie or beret which I am keen to add into my own wardrobe soon as I love how chic and stylish they look on her. Although her signature clothing item is a chunky headband I wouldn't say I want to bring my 8 year old self back into fashion quite yet!






Then there is Clueless, filmed in 1995, another one of my favourite films. As this film is over two decades old I have to be careful with the inspiration I get from the outfits. I don't want to look like I'm living in the 20th Century! However, I can defiantly see elements of Cher's wardrobe creeping into my own. With a wardrobe full of checks Cher is a total girl boss. I am not going to hide that fact that I am super excited that this trend is coming back into fashion. 





I bet when you were younger you watched all the programmes on the Disney channel and wished you had the wacky wardrobes of the cast. I know I did! I was always trying to dress like Emma Ross from Jessie and Teddy Duncan from Good Luck Charlie but never seemed to nail it like they did! I swear American girls can pull off anything but they never quite look the same on us Brits! However, I tried my best and had fun recreating the looks in my own way. 




So now I'll talk about the new popular series on Netflix...Peaky Blinders. Set in the 1920s the fashion is decades old but due to it being so popular the trends are on their way back into fashion. We are suddenly seeing young men everywhere wearing newsboy caps and checked jackets. Last year they were only really worn by older men or farmers. Women are even trying to get into the trend by bringing the baker boy hat into fashion. Black, checked and greys are the most popular just like the men wore in Peaky Blinders. It just goes to show how a popular film or series can truly influence our own fashion choices without us even realising.



Watching popular films and series creates a new world of fashion. Trend forecasters can't predict these fashion trends so it's up to us to determine whether they become popular or stay inside our screens. It just goes to show how our community can really create fashion trends and bring the old ones back into fashion.

I hope you enjoyed this post and it made you think about what film characters you take fashion inspiration from. Let me know which characters are your favourite and what trends you want to bring back. Stay tuned every Friday for a new discussion post. See you again see...

Emma Victoria 
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment